Thursday, November 12, 2009

Let Yourself In

I don't know what it is about this November. Something's gone awry.

So many of us are going through tremendous changes, reliving old hurts, working our way through pain.

Last Wednesday, my friend Chris came to visit. She arrived on a Wednesday when I thought she was coming on Thursday(my mistake of course. I have zero organizational skills), which meant that I had nothing ready for her visit, but she was gracious, and wonderful. We talked and sang the evening away with a bottle of red wine. So much has happened for both of us in the year since we've seen each other - we've both struggledn, and both had moments of wonder and joy. She played me a song from her new CD that has resonated with me ever since. I can't get it out of my head. I play it constantly, because it speaks so directly to what's happening for me, right now.

It's a beautiful song, and I am privledged to know her.

So for all of you - Amy, Ames, Rocket, Lilli, Windy, Margo, Aneke, Ang...there are more, I'm sure, who are feeling the coolness of November and the sadness rush through your minds, this song is for you. I created a slide show with it that depicts some of the pivotal, beautiful moments in my summer - a summer that was both painful and joyful. They will stay with me always.



The chorus:

Let yourself in and welcome all your ghosts
Sit them down, pour a round
Offer up a toast
You were meant to live this life
The way that's best for you
And all the promise stored inside
Still waiting there for you

You can learn more about Chris's music here. If you like it, buy her CD and support this amazing independent musician.

Thanks so much for all you've brought me.

15 comments:

Making Space said...

Those lyrics are beautiful and they inspire me for some ghostly events coming up in the next week. I really really appreciate the invitation to welcome in the ghosts.

Unfortunately I cannot see the video, it says it is private and I need to accept the sender's friend request first. I tried finding Chris on YouTube but could not.

Looking forward to hearing her somehow, and thanks for the beautiful lyrics! So so very appropriate.

Making Space said...

http://www.myspace.com/chrismaclean1

I found this, you can hear the song on her MySpace page.

Angie said...

Thank you Camlin....I am truly touched. It's a beautiful song.

Anna said...

I fixed it - I forgot to make the video public....so you should be able to see it now.

When I previewed my blog post, I was able to see it, so I didn't realize there was a problem.

shane rocket said...

such a meaningful song, she has such a healing voice.... wow.

thank you for sharing!

B said...

Wow! She is very talented! And so are you for creating that slide show!

Anonymous said...

I really hope that the clouds part for you soon. There's so much sun up there above them. :)

CJ said...

This is a difficult time of the year for me. The memories of holidays past are full of family, traditions and what was. While I am grateful to have my own life (even at the expense of losing my family) I miss having A FAMILY. Not the one I have been eradicated from, but the one that exists only in my mind. So I focus on making those memories for my kids and creating my own traditions. I wish you all some peace during this time. But sometimes re-visiting the hurt of the past helps us heal more in the future.

LilliGirl said...

Thank you so much for sharing with us.

Anonymous said...

I think this time of year is rough for many, regardless wheither there are hard times or not. Holidays get to people, cold, darkness, many things mixed in. Making what you can out of life and having amazing friends there with you to enjoy it, it definatly helps. Nice song. :-)

hhh said...

I just updated myself through your posts, I have been wondering where you have been. I miss your little visits. I have been places you have...it's scary and yes even numbing to the point you wonder if you will ever feel anything again. All I can say is be tender with yourself and seek out that gentle voice, resist the judgements let them just flow through and watch them softly take their place somewhere else. You are heard precious one~

Making Space said...

Oh my you made your site all green and purty!!! Love it! I've been enjoying the video, thank you!

Anna said...

You are all welcome.

Chris was so excited when she found out how much I loved the song - wait until I tell her that you all loved it too.

Part of what's getting me down is my changing relationship with my family. I see Christmas a bit differently than I used to...but I don't have the old support system any more. I'm needing to create one for myself, which is a huge challenge. My family loves me, but they don't really understand what's going on for me. But each day is a bit brighter...thanks to all of you!

aneke said...

Beautiful :)
Thank you :)

I don't know how I didn't realise sooner that I wasn't following you! My humble apologies!

Anna said...

Aneke, you might not have been following, but I knew you were reading :)

Glad you enjoyed the song.