Monday, October 11, 2010

national coming out day

I posted my story last year. Here's a link if you would like a refresher, or if you haven't read it yet.

Ironically, my youngest and I were talking about coming out this evening, while she bathed and I washed her hair. I am out to everyone, except for most of the people I work with. Small center, small staff of seven people, and I'm just not sure that my supervisor would get it - I think that my co-workers would be accepting. But I haven't yet taken the risk, and I'm not sure when - or if- I will. I may be able to find work in the public school system next fall, and they all have strong anti-discrimination policies.

Last year, only my parents and my sister, of all my family members, knew that I was a lesbian. Last year I was a lesbian without a partner - which made things a wee bit safer. Thanks to national coming out day, my facebook status and the link I posted to my blog, most of my extended family and a few of my unaware friends learned a bit more about me. And my girl has met my family a few times now. I lost facebook friends, and it hurt for a bit. But then I realized that if they can't accept me for who I am, then I'm really not interested in sharing my life with them anyways.

happy days to all of you

4 comments:

35jupe said...

What a difference a year makes.

Happy Coming Out Day!

Anonymous said...

This has been a huge year for you. I love looking back and reflecting on so much progress being made. Much happiness to you.

LilliGirl said...

ditto. :)

Miranda said...

It's a big thing, but wow, when its out it's sometimes a big weight off your shoulders. I know about the work place not knowing. At my work, there are only 4 out of the 12 that I work with that know. It's hard.