Friday, March 12, 2010

accident

I accidentally went to my blogger dashboard instead of somewhere else, so I took it as a sign that I should update....

I have a new dog. I think he's going to stay. His arrival into our lives is a long story, which I will tell later, but he is (about) fifty pounds, some kind of shepherd/collie cross, eight months old and un-neutered (so far, but that will change). He is gentle, quiet, bouncy and silly all at once. He was house trained and knew some simple commands when he arrived, and this week we've been working really hard at leash training. It's coming. He's smart, but he listens, so it should be okay.

It's March Break for the kids next week, which means I get a bit of a break myself. Shorter days and more time to spend with Emily.

I'm working on my next post for Our Big Gayborhood. Have you dropped by yet? Read some of the essays and articles? It's an amazing site, where some of my favourite writers have gathered and pooled their talents.

While I'm lax about many things, my plans for the summer are all laid out. Michigan, how you call to me! I'll be there twice in the same month! I'm looking forward to music festivals, camping, and writing under the summer sun! Can't wait, really.

The snow is almost gone here, and the spring birds are slowly starting to return. I know I can't count winter out yet....but the longer days and warmer weather gives me so much hope!

My next post will have photos - of the new dog, of my neighbourhood in springtime, and the little things I love. But now I have to run off to work.....happy weekend everyone!

8 comments:

Angie said...

Sounds like there is some exciting adventures happening in the near future. I am thankful spring is almost here as well. Can't wait to see photos of the new addition.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the puppy! I look forward to those pictures.

Making Space said...

Congrats on the dog and the new spring-looking-toward-summer energy! Looking forward to the pics!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new family member. I am also very much looking forward to summer. Love seeing all the signs of spring!

Maria said...

I was never a dog fancier until I met my Socks. Funny how all it takes is just one dog...

Laura Lee said...

oh, here it comes... dogs are hairballs of joy on four legs (or sometimes three!) I sense an interesting story coming, Blessed Bee!! Out with it!! :oD

Anna said...

I picked up the eldest to take her to a family gathering, and she invited me to meet their new upstairs neighbours - who were about to take their oversized, eight month old collie/shepherd cross to the shelter because - get this - they wanted a new puppy. When they let the dog inside, he sat down for me so that I could pet him, and I was a goner! So well behaved...so calm...and I like bigger dogs. So I took him home. And he's still here, learning to walk on a leash, keeping chester company, and terrifying the cat. The cat has stopped hating me. It's an improvement over last week.

Murray said...

Congratulations!It sounds like you were in the right place at the right time for your new puppy. People are so insensitive about how they treat their animals - trade them in as if they are cars. I am so glad to you took that 8 month old in. He sounds like a sweetie.